Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Dick Wood



And now, a few words about my late father, Dick Wood. My father was stationed at Perrin Airforce Base in Sherman, Texas in the late 1950s. He was always involved in acting, singing and public speaking, so he took a job as a Disc Jockey on the local top 40 station, KDSX AM. He was originally from Wollaston, Massachusetts and did later return there. This is why I am living in Massachusetts today. But I digress... My mother was working at the radio station writing ads and doing other clerical and support work when she met my dad. Knowing them both, I cannot imagine how they became a couple. Neither could they, apparently, as they divorced when I was 4 years old.

Today my mother and I went to Denison, Texas (birthplace of President Dwight D. Eisenhower) and we were in the old downtown area. Mom pointed to the old Rialto Theater, and said "Your Dad used to do Rock and Roll Shows there". Well, I was thrilled, as I have this photo and always wondered what the origin was. It was always a big deal for me as a child when my dad would send songs out to me on the radio. My favorites were "Downtown" by Petula Clark, and "The Addams Family Theme". Every year, we got to ride in the KDSX "Mobile News Unit" car with the big fins in the Christmas Parade in Sherman. I believe this is the reason I became such a groupie in general, and the reason I love having my celebrity Christmas cards each year. Oh, and this year is a good one, so keep looking for it in your maibox :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

-ole Dick was a star, star, star...

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home